2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-3-145.1. Statewide Virtual Charter School Board.
A. There is hereby created the Statewide Virtual Charter School Board. The Board shall have the sole authority to authorize and sponsor statewide virtual charter schools in this state. The Board shall be composed of five (5) voting members as follows:
1. One member appointed by the Governor, who shall be a resident and elector of the Fifth Congressional District;
2. Two members appointed by the President Pro Tempore of the Senate, one of whom shall be a resident and elector of the First Congressional District and one of whom shall be a resident and elector of the Third Congressional District;
3. Two members appointed by the Speaker of the House of Representatives, one of whom shall be a resident and elector of the Second Congressional District and one of whom shall be a resident and elector of the Fourth Congressional District; and
4. The State Superintendent of Public Instruction and the Secretary of Education or their designees shall serve as ex officio nonvoting members, and shall not be counted toward a quorum.
B. Initial appointments shall be made by August 1, 2012. The President Pro Tempore of the Senate and the Speaker of the House of Representatives shall each appoint one member for one (1) year and one member for three (3) years. The Governor shall appoint one member for two (2) years. Members shall serve until their successors are duly appointed for a term of three (3) years. Appointments shall be made by and take effect on November 1 of the year in which the appointment is made. Annually by December 30 the Board shall elect from its membership a chair and vice-chair.
C. A member may be removed from the Board by the appointing authority for cause which shall include, but not be limited to:
1. Being found guilty by a court of competent jurisdiction of a felony or any offense involving moral turpitude;
2. Being found guilty of malfeasance, misfeasance or nonfeasance in relation to Board duties;
3. Being found mentally incompetent by a court of competent jurisdiction; or
4. Failing to attend three successive meetings of the Board without just cause, as determined by the Board.
D. Vacancies shall be filled by the appointing authority.
E. No member of the Senate or House of Representatives may be appointed to the Board while serving as a member of the Legislature, or for two (2) full years following the expiration of the term of office.
F. The State Department of Education shall provide staff support to the Board until December 31, 2014, and thereafter the Department shall provide office space for the operation of the Board.
Added by Laws 2012, c. 367, § 3, eff. July 1, 2012. Amended by Laws 2013, c. 212, § 4, eff. Sept. 1, 2013.