2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-24-120. Truancy - Reports to Department of Human Services - Withholding of assistance payments.

Universal Citation: 70 OK Stat § 70-24-120 (2018)

A. At the close of each attendance period of the school term, the board of education of each school district shall notify in writing the Department of Human Services of the name of any child who has not been present for instruction at least eighty percent (80%) of the time without valid excuse as defined in Section 10-105 of this title.

B. Upon the receipt of such information from the school district, the Director of the Department of Human Services is authorized to withhold assistance payments to the payee of such child and to instigate an investigation for the purpose of improving the school attendance of such child. After such investigation, if the attendance record of the child investigated is satisfactory, such withheld payments may be released. In the event the investigation results in a change in custody and care of such child, payments to the payee shall be canceled or shall be made to the person qualified to receive benefits on behalf of the child.

C. For purposes of the pilot project, the Department of Human Services and the State Board of Education shall establish a procedure to provide for the exchange of information required by this section concerning students subject to the provisions of this section. Any procedure thus established shall, if applicable, comply with the requirements of the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act, 20 U.S.C. Section 1232g et seq., and any other applicable federal law.

D. The district attorney shall file with the Department of Human Services a report identifying any child who has been convicted of truancy within thirty (30) days of such conviction.

Added by Laws 1971, c. 281, § 24-120, eff. July 2, 1971. Amended by Laws 1992, c. 291, § 5, eff. Sept. 1, 1992; Laws 1995, c. 346, § 12, eff. July 1, 1995.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.