2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-2201. Authorization to construct and equip buildings, plants, systems, etc. - Fees and charges.

Universal Citation: 70 OK Stat § 70-2201 (2018)

Any school district which has established junior college educational courses above the twelfth grade which complies with the regulations and standards set up by the State Board of Education and the State Regents for Higher Education, by its Board of Education, acting for and in behalf of such school district, subject to and in accordance with the terms hereof, is hereby authorized from time to time to set aside such portion of its respective campuses or of the campuses under the jurisdiction of said Board, or any other land owned or leased by said Board as may be necessary and suitable for the construction thereon of dormitories, kitchens, dining halls, auditoriums, student union buildings, field houses, stadiums, public utility plants, and systems for the supplying of water, gas, heat, or power to the junior college or such college or institution, and other self-liquidating projects and other revenue-producing buildings deemed necessary by said Board for the comfort, convenience, and welfare of its students, and suitable for the purposes for which said institutions were established, including additions to existing buildings used for such purposes; to acquire through construction, purchase, condemnation, or any combination thereof, such dormitories, kitchens, dining halls, auditoriums, student union buildings, field houses, stadiums, public utility plants and systems, and other revenue-producing buildings and acquire or construct additions, improvements, and extensions to existing buildings and structures used for such purposes and to equip, furnish, maintain, and operate all such buildings and structures; and to acquire through purchase, condemnation or otherwise, any land, rights-of-way, easements, licenses and permits needed for the present or future use of such buildings, structures, plants, and systems; provided, that such Board of Education shall not construct or acquire, for its respective institution, such utility plants or systems whose capacity is in excess of the present or reasonably contemplated future needs of such institution.

When, in the opinion of the Board of Education of any such institution, any of the buildings, structures, plants, and systems constructed, acquired, improved, extended, added to, furnished, or equipped as above authorized are deemed necessary by the said Board for the comfort, convenience, and welfare of the student body as a whole, or for any specified class or part thereof, the Board of Education shall have authority to charge and collect from all students in attendance at such college, school, or institution, or from any specified class or part thereof for which such facilities are so deemed necessary, fees and charges for the use or availability of such buildings and structures and for the services or commodities to be made available by such plants, systems, or facilities. The proceeds of all such fees and charges shall be considered as revenues within the meaning of Section 3 hereof and the provisions of said section shall be applicable thereto. Where the commodities and services supplied by any such plant and system temporarily shall be found to be in excess of the requirements of the college, school, or institution, the Board of Education may sell the surplus to other public or nonprofit consumers, including incorporated municipalities, and in that connection may enter into such agreements as it may consider advisable. All revenues received from the sale of such surplus shall likewise be considered and treated as other revenues under Section 3 hereof. Such Board of Education may also enter into agreements for the purchase of water, electricity, gas, heat, or power to be distributed through the medium of any such plant or system, provided only that no agreement entered into under the provisions of this paragraph shall pledge the credit of the State of Oklahoma.

Added by Laws 1961, p. 556, § 1, emerg. eff. June 29, 1961.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.