2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-21-101.1. Exempt from licensing.
The term "private school" shall not include the following which are exempt from licensing by the Oklahoma Board of Private Vocational Schools:
1. Barber schools, beauty schools or other schools which are exclusively regulated or licensed pursuant to the provisions of any school-licensing law of this state, although such school may choose to apply to secure a license for state authorization from the Board;
2. Any form of flight instruction subject to regulations promulgated by the Federal Aviation Administration;
3. Parochial, private or other nonpublic schools offering programs of general education accredited or approved by the State Board of Education, the State Board of Career and Technology Education or the State Regents for Higher Education;
4. Education or training, as approved by the Board, provided and paid for by:
a.an employer for its own employees,
b.a professional organization, as approved by the Board, for its members,
c.a parochial, denominational, eleemosynary school or institution, which is sectarian in nature and uniquely useful for and intrinsic to the propagation of a faith or the pursuit of the mission of the school or institution as approved by the Board, or
d.an entity supported by taxation of a local or state source;
5. Education or training, as approved by the Board, which offers instruction solely in the field of an avocation, hobby, recreation or entertainment, as approved by the Board;
6. Professional prelicensing programs or continuing education programs when an alternate state agency maintains complete authority or jurisdiction over the right to offer or certify such a program, regardless if the other agency mandates the subject matter of the program;
7. Postgraduate certificates offered or provided by a school that has approval for that specific program issued by another state agency or an accrediting agency approved by the Board;
8. If a private school combines training or education that is both licensed and not licensed by another state agency, licensing by the Board will be required for the entity's combined programs. However, the Board will defer to the other state agency on matters contained in the other agency's regulations and will refrain from establishing conflicting requirements. Matters to be governed by the other state agency may include but are not limited to curriculum, testing or certification completion. The Board may require a private school to document its approval by any other state agency or an accrediting organization; and
9. Seminars or workshops offered by an entity that:
a.is not primarily in the business of providing programs of instruction,
b.provides instruction to advance the personal development or general, transferable skills of a participant, and
c.offers aggregate clock or contact hours of no more than twenty-four (24) clock or defined contact hours per calendar quarter of the calendar year.
Added by Laws 2014, c. 276, § 2.