2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-18-118.1. Bond forfeited due to illegal activity - Assessment on persons convicted of certain crimes - School Investigative Audit Revolving Fund.
A. When a bond is forfeited due to illegal activity of a school district officer or employee and an audit performed by the Office of the State Auditor and Inspector reported the illegal activity, the school district shall forward ten percent (10%) of the amount of the forfeited bond to the State Board of Education for deposit to the School Investigative Audit Revolving Fund.
B. 1. Every person convicted of the crime of theft, embezzlement, conversion, or misappropriation of school district funds shall be assessed an amount equivalent to ten percent (10%) of any court-ordered restitution costs.
2. The assessment shall be mandatory and in addition to and not in lieu of any fines, restitution costs, other assessments, or forfeitures authorized or required by law for the offense. The assessment required by this subsection shall not be subject to any order of suspension. The court shall order either a lump-sum payment or establish a payment schedule.
3. Willful failure of the offender to comply with the payment schedule shall be considered contempt of court.
4. For purposes of collection, the assessment order shall not expire until paid in full, nor shall the assessment order be limited by the term of imprisonment prescribed by law for the offense, nor by any term of imprisonment imposed against the offender, whether suspended or actually served.
5. The assessment provided for in this subsection shall be collected by the court clerk as provided for collection of fines and costs. When assessment payments are collected by the court clerk pursuant to court order, the funds shall be forwarded to the State Board of Education for deposit into the School Investigative Audit Revolving Fund created by this section.
C. 1. There is hereby created in the State Treasury a revolving fund for the State Board of Education to be designated the "School Investigative Audit Revolving Fund". The fund shall be a continuing fund, not subject to fiscal year limitations, and shall consist of all monies paid to and received by the State Board of Education from school districts, officers, or employees for the performance of audits, for the forfeiture of bonds, or for assessments ordered in addition to court-ordered restitution costs, and monies appropriated or transferred to the fund by the Legislature.
2. All monies accruing to the credit of the fund are hereby appropriated and may be budgeted and expended by the State Board of Education to reimburse the Office of the State Auditor and Inspector for costs incurred in the performance of special audits conducted pursuant to the provisions of Section 213 of Title 74 of the Oklahoma Statutes.
3. Prior to approval of any payment from this fund, the State Board of Education shall determine that a school district that is liable for expenses incurred due to the performance of an audit is unable to pay such expenses. Payments from this fund shall only be made to the extent that monies are available in the fund. Expenditures from the fund shall be made upon warrants issued by the State Treasurer against claims filed as prescribed by law with the Director of the Office of Management and Enterprise Services for approval and payment.
Added by Laws 2008, c. 435, § 1, eff. July 1, 2008. Amended by Laws 2012, c. 304, § 609.