2018 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 70. Schools
§70-14-101. State Board of Career and Technology Education - Successor to State Board of Vocational and Technical Education.
A. There is hereby created the State Board of Career and Technology Education which shall succeed to all of the powers and duties heretofore invested in the State Board for Vocational Education. The membership of the State Board of Career and Technology Education shall consist of:
1. The State Superintendent of Public Instruction who shall be an ex officio voting member;
2. Two appointed members of the State Board of Education, selected by the Governor, to serve as ex officio voting members. One State Board member shall be selected for a one-year term and one State Board member shall be selected for a two-year term;
3. Five members to be appointed by the Governor with the advice and consent of the Senate. Each appointed member shall be an owner, chief executive or operating officer, or business executive with policy-making or hiring authority for a business or industry located in the state or with a business or industry where a significant number of the workforce performs a task for which training or other educational service may be obtained from the career and technology education system. The Governor shall appoint one such appointive member from each of the congressional districts and any remaining members shall be appointed from the state at large.
However, when congressional districts are redrawn each member appointed prior to July 1 of the year in which such modification becomes effective shall complete the current term of office and appointments made after July 1 of the year in which such modification becomes effective shall be based on the redrawn districts. Appointments made after July 1 of the year in which such modification becomes effective shall be from any redrawn districts which are not represented by a board member until such time as each of the modified congressional districts are represented by a board member. No member shall be appointed pursuant to this paragraph who has not resided in the relevant congressional district for at least six (6) months prior to the date of appointment; and
4. One member who represents the public, private and/or educational interests of the state shall be appointed by the Governor from the state at large with the advice and consent of the Senate.
B. All initial appointments made by the Governor pursuant to this act shall be for terms as follows:
1. Initial appointments of the two members of the State Board of Education pursuant to paragraph 2 of subsection A of this section shall be for terms as follows:
a.one for a term to expire on April 1, 2004, and
b.one for a term to expire on April 1, 2005;
2. Initial appointments of the six members pursuant to paragraphs 3 and 4 of subsection A of this section shall be for terms as follows:
a.one for a term to expire on April 1, 2004,
b.one for a term to expire on April 1, 2005,
c.one for a term to expire on April 1, 2006,
d.one for a term to expire on April 1, 2007,
e.one for a term to expire on April 1, 2008, and
f.one for a term to expire on April 1, 2009;
3. The member appointed to represent the state at large shall be the initial appointment for the term ending April 1, 2009;
4. After the initial terms, all members appointed by the Governor shall be appointed for terms of six (6) years. Initial appointments pursuant to the provisions of this section shall be made no later than September 1, 2003. All terms shall expire on the first day of April of the year in which the term of each member expires, except for the terms of office of members serving on the Board on the effective date of this section, which shall expire August 31, 2003;
5. The Chair of the Board shall be the State Superintendent of Public Instruction. The Director of the Oklahoma Department of Career and Technology Education shall serve as an ex officio nonvoting member and shall be the executive officer of the Board; and
6. Members of the State Board of Career and Technology Education shall be subject to the orientation and continuing education requirements for school board members specified in Sections 5-110 and 5-110.1 of this title. Failure of a member to satisfy these requirements shall result in the member vacating the seat and the vacancy being filled as provided by law.
C. No person shall be eligible to be appointed to serve on the Board unless the person has been awarded a high school diploma or certificate of high school equivalency.
D. For each additional month employed, the additional salary shall be calculated on the basis of one-tenth (1/10) of the base salary as prescribed by the school district for a teacher of like qualifications employed on a ten-months' basis.
E. The official name of the Board which is known as the “State Board of Vocational and Technical Education” shall be designated in all future references as the “State Board of Career and Technology Education”. Any references in the statutes to the State Board of Vocational and Technical Education shall be deemed references to the State Board of Career and Technology Education.
Added by Laws 1971, c. 281, § 14-101, eff. July 2, 1971. Amended by Laws 2000, c. 209, § 1, emerg. eff. May 19, 2000; Laws 2002, c. 375, § 17, eff. Nov. 5, 2002; Laws 2003, c. 42, § 1; Laws 2003, c. 228, § 2, eff. Aug. 1, 2003.