2015 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 43A. Mental Health
§43A-1-109.1. Treatment advocates.
A. 1. Every adult having a mental illness as defined in Section 1-103 of this title who is under the care of a licensed mental health professional shall be informed by the licensed mental health professional or the mental health treatment facility that the consumer has the right to designate a family member or other concerned individual as a treatment advocate.
2. The individual designated as a treatment advocate shall act at all times in the best interests of the consumer.
3. The patient may change or revoke the designation of a treatment advocate at any time and for any reason.
4. The treatment advocate may participate in the treatment planning and discharge planning of the consumer to the extent consented to by the consumer and as permitted by law.
5. A person holding the powers vested in a guardianship of the person, a grant of general health care decision-making authority or designation of health care proxy contained in an advance directive for health care, or a durable power of attorney with health care decision-making authority shall be the treatment advocate for the patient by operation of law.
B. 1. The Board of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services shall promulgate rules for all facilities certified by the Department of Mental Health and Substance Abuse Services as to the design, contents, and maintenance of a treatment advocate consent form.
2. The contents of the consent form, at a minimum, shall include a statement indicating that the treatment advocate understands that all mental health treatment information is confidential and that the treatment advocate agrees to maintain confidentiality.
C. This section shall not apply to inmates of the Oklahoma Department of Corrections.
Added by Laws 2003, c. 187, § 1, emerg. eff. May 7, 2003. Amended by Laws 2004, c. 113, § 4, eff. Nov. 1, 2004; Laws 2005, c. 150, § 6, emerg. eff. May 9, 2005; Laws 2013, c. 155, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2013.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.