2015 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 17. Corporation Commission
§17-503. Corporation Commission - Jurisdiction - Rules and regulations - Exceptions.
A. The Corporation Commission is hereby vested with jurisdiction over:
1. The drilling for and production of brine for commercial purposes;
2. Class V injection wells used for the injection or disposal of mineral brines as defined in the federal Safe Drinking Water Act and 40 CFR Part 146; and
3. Class V wells used to inject spent brine into the same formation from which it was withdrawn after extraction of halogens or their salts as defined in 40 CFR Part 146.
B. The Commission may promulgate such rules:
1. As are reasonably necessary to effectuate the purposes of this act, including rules governing the drilling of production, injection or disposal wells and the injection of effluent into underground formations; and
2. To ensure that the drilling, casing and plugging of wells is done in such a manner as to prevent the escape of brine and effluent from one formation to another and to prevent the pollution of fresh water supplies throughout the state.
C. The Oklahoma Brine Development Act shall not apply to nor shall the Corporation Commission have jurisdiction over Class I, III, IV or V wells regulated by the Department of Environmental Quality pursuant to the federal Safe Drinking Water Act and 40 CFR Parts 144 through 148, inclusive, and the Oklahoma Environmental Quality Act.
Added by Laws 1990, c. 255, § 4, eff. Sept. 1, 1990. Amended by Laws 2000, c. 364, § 3, emerg. eff. June 6, 2000.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.