2015 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 12. Civil Procedure
§12-83. Conserving monies obtained for or on behalf of persons under eighteen years of age in court proceedings.

12 OK Stat § 12-83 (2015) What's This?

A. Monies recovered in any court proceeding by a next friend or guardian ad litem for or on behalf of a person who is less than eighteen (18) years of age in excess of One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00) over sums sufficient for paying costs and expenses including medical bills and attorney's fees shall be deposited, by order of the court, in one or more federally insured banking, credit union or savings and loan institutions, or invested by a bank or trust company having trust powers under federal or state law, approved by the court; provided, that the court may approve a structured settlement, by the terms of which the proceeds of a settlement may be invested by the plaintiff or the defendant in an annuity to be paid to or for the benefit of the minor by an insurance company licensed in this state.

B. Until the person becomes eighteen (18) years of age, withdrawals of monies from the account or accounts shall be solely pursuant to order of the court made in the case in which recovery was had.

C. When an application for the order is made by a person who is not represented by an attorney, the judge of the court shall prepare the order.

D. This section shall not apply if a legal guardian has been appointed for the minor prior to any award of monies pursuant to subsection A of this section. If a legal guardian is appointed after any award of monies pursuant to subsection A of this section, the legal guardian may petition the district court in the county where the federally insured funds are held for an order directing the bank, credit union or savings and loan to transfer the funds to the legal guardian. The district court may make the granting of the request to transfer funds subject to reasonable safeguards.

Added by Laws 1971, c. 98, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 1971. Amended by Laws 1972, c. 197, § 1, emerg. eff. April 7, 1972; Laws 1984, c. 53, § 1, emerg. eff. March 28, 1984; Laws 1993, c. 98, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1993; Laws 1996, c. 293, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 1996; Laws 2003, c. 140, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2003.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.