2015 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 12. Civil Procedure
§12-812. Action against clerk of court for refusal or neglect to pay over money - Notice.

12 OK Stat § 12-812 (2015) What's This?

A. If any clerk of a court shall neglect or refuse on demand made by the person entitled thereto, his agent or attorney of record, to pay over all money by him received in his official capacity, for the use of such persons, the party aggrieved by the alleged neglect or refusal may file an action in district court to recover damages sustained.

B. Before an aggrieved party shall proceed in an action pursuant to this section, the party shall serve written notice upon the court clerk, detailing the alleged act or acts of negligence or refusal to act. Said notice shall be served personally upon the court clerk at least twenty (20) days before a petition is filed in district court. The court clerk shall have twenty (20) days from receipt of notice to perform the act which is the basis for the alleged neglect or refusal to act or to respond as to reason for failure to do so. If the court clerk performs the act required within the twenty-day period no action for damages shall be authorized.

Notice also shall be served upon the surety from whom the bond, required by Section 167 of Title 19 of the Oklahoma Statutes, was purchased. Proof of service of notice required by this subsection shall be attached to the petition filed by the aggrieved party.

R.L. 1910, § 5181. Amended by Laws 1990, c. 185, § 2, eff. Sept. 1, 1990.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.