2015 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 12. Civil Procedure
§12-1179. Failure of garnishee to answer.

12 OK Stat § 12-1179 (2015) What's This?

If any garnishee, having been duly summoned, shall fail to file and deliver or mail the answer as required by Sections 1172.2, 1178, 1178.1 or 1178.2 of this title, to appear for deposition or to answer interrogatories as provided in Section 1183 of this title, the court shall enter an order to the garnishee to file and deliver or mail the answer, to appear for deposition, or to answer the interrogatories within a time prescribed by the court, not to be less than seven (7) days, in the order and also to deliver within the same period of time to the court or the judgment creditor any money or property of defendant that the garnishee is required to pay or deliver under this title. The court shall also direct the manner in which notice of the order shall be given to the garnishee. The order for giving notice shall specify a manner of giving notice which is calculated to be most likely to give actual notice to the garnishee or its managing officers, directors, or agents. The order shall specifically inform the garnishee that the garnishee has failed to respond to the summons and shall specifically advise the garnishee that judgment will be rendered against it in the principal amount of the judgment against the defendant plus costs, which amounts will be specified, upon failure to conform with the requirements of the order. If the garnishee shall fail to file and deliver or mail the answer affidavit as required in the order, appear for deposition, or to answer interrogatories as provided in the order, then the court shall render judgment against the garnishee for the amount of the judgment and costs due the judgment creditor from the defendant in the principal action together with the costs of the garnishment, including a reasonable attorney's fee to the judgment creditor for prosecuting the garnishment. The garnishee may also be subject to punishment for contempt; provided, however, the court shall have power to vacate or modify any order issued pursuant to this section in the manner provided in Sections 1031 or 1031.1 of this title.

R.L. 1910, § 4829. Amended by Laws 1965, c. 297, § 9; Laws 1976, c. 87, § 8, emerg. eff. May 4, 1976; Laws 1992, c. 156, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1992; Laws 1995, c. 338, § 12, eff. Nov. 1, 1995.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.