2015 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 12. Civil Procedure
§12-1178. Garnishee's affidavit where garnishment summons on earnings.
A. For the purposes of this section, "earnings" means any form of payment to an individual including, but not limited to, salary, wages, commission, or other compensation, but does not include reimbursement for travel expenses for state employees.
B. Where the garnishment summons is on earnings and is issued under Section 1173 of this title, the garnishee shall, within seven (7) days after the end of defendant's present pay period or where a payment of earnings is due, or thirty (30) days from the service of the summons, whichever is earlier, file an affidavit with the clerk of the court in which the action is pending and deliver or mail a copy thereof to the judgment creditor or the judgment creditor's attorney of record. The affidavit shall state:
1. Whether the garnishee was the employer of or indebted or under any liability to the defendant named in the notice in any manner or upon any account for earnings or wages, specifying, as applicable, the beginning and ending dates of the pay period existing at the time of the service of the garnishee summons, the total amounts earned in the pay period, and all of the facts and circumstances necessary to a complete understanding of such indebtedness or liability. When the garnishee shall be in doubt respecting any such liability or indebtedness, the garnishee may set forth all of the facts and circumstances concerning the same, and submit the question to the court;
2. If the garnishee shall claim any setoff, defense, other indebtedness, liability, lien, or claim to such property, the facts and circumstances in the affidavit;
3. At the garnishee's option, any claim of exemption from execution on the part of the defendant, or other objection known to the garnishee against the right of the judgment creditor to apply the indebtedness or property disclosed;
4. If the garnishee shall disclose any indebtedness or the possession of any property to which the defendant, or any other person, makes claim, at the garnishee's option, the names and addresses of such other claimants and, so far as known, the nature of the claims; and
5. The garnishee shall state that he has mailed or hand-delivered a copy of the notice of garnishment and exemptions, application for hearing, and the manner and date of compliance.
C. The garnishee's answer shall be on a form prescribed by the Administrative Office of the Courts.
R.L. 1910, § 4828. Amended by Laws 1965, c. 297, § 8; Laws 1976, c. 87, § 7, emerg. eff. May 4, 1976; Laws 1982, c. 302, § 3, operative Oct. 1, 1982; Laws 1983, c. 50, § 5, emerg. eff. April 26, 1983; Laws 1986, c. 185, § 5, eff. Sept. 1, 1986; Laws 1990, c. 248, § 6, emerg. eff. May 21, 1990; Laws 1995, c. 338, § 9, eff. Nov. 1, 1995.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.