2014 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 85A. Administrative Workers' Compensation System
§85A-43. Liability Unaffected - Subrogation.
A. Liability Unaffected.
1.a.The making of a claim for compensation against any employer or carrier for the injury or death of an employee shall not affect the right of the employee, or his or her dependents, to make a claim or maintain an action in court against any third party for the injury.
b.The employer or the employer's carrier shall be entitled to reasonable notice and opportunity to join in the action.
c.If the employer or employer's carrier join in the action against a third party for injury or death, they shall be entitled to a first lien on two-thirds (2/3) of the net proceeds recovered in the action that remain after the payment of the reasonable costs of collection, for the payment to them of the amount paid and to be paid by them as compensation to the injured employee or his or her dependents.
2. The commencement of an action by an employee or his or her dependents against a third party for damages by reason of an injury to which this act is applicable, or the adjustment of any claim, shall not affect the rights of the injured employee or his or her dependents to recover compensation, but any amount recovered by the injured employee or his or her dependents from a third party shall be applied as follows:
a.reasonable fees and costs of collection shall be deducted,
b.the employer or carrier, as applicable, shall receive two-thirds (2/3) of the remainder of the recovery or the amount of the workers' compensation lien, whichever is less, and
c.the remainder of the recovery shall go to the injured employee or his or her dependents.
1. An employer or carrier liable for compensation under this act for the injury or death of an employee shall have the right to maintain an action in tort against any third party responsible for the injury or death. However, the employer or the carrier shall notify the claimant in writing that the claimant has the right to hire a private attorney to pursue any benefits to which the claimant is entitled in addition to the subrogation interest against any third party responsible for the injury or death.
2. After reasonable notice and opportunity to be represented in the action has been given to the injured employee, the liability of the third party to the compensation beneficiary shall be determined in the action, as well as the third party's liability to the employer and carrier.
3. If the employer recovers against the third party, by suit or otherwise, the injured employee shall be entitled to any amount recovered in excess of the amount that the employer and carrier have paid or are liable for in compensation, after deducting reasonable costs of collection.
4. An employer or carrier who is liable for compensation under this act on account of injury or death of an employee shall be entitled to maintain a third-party action against the employer's uninsured motorist coverage or underinsured motorist coverage.
Added by Laws 2013, c. 208, § 43, eff. Feb. 1, 2014.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.