2014 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 78. Trademarks and Labels
As used in the Uniform Trade Secrets Act, unless the context requires otherwise:
1. "Improper means" includes theft, bribery, misrepresentation, breach or inducement of a breach of a duty to maintain secrecy, or espionage through electronic or other means.
2. "Misappropriation" means:
a.acquisition of a trade secret of another by a person who knows or has reason to know that the trade secret was acquired by improper means; or
b.disclosure or use of a trade secret of another without express or implied consent by a person who:
(1)used improper means to acquire knowledge of the trade secret; or
(2)at the time of disclosure or use, knew or had reason to know that his knowledge of the trade secret was:
(a)derived from or through a person who had utilized improper means to acquire it; or
(b)acquired under circumstances giving rise to a duty to maintain its secrecy or limit its use; or
(c)derived from or through a person who owed a duty to the person seeking relief to maintain its secrecy or limit its use; or
(3) before a material change of his position, knew or had reason to know that it was a trade secret and that knowledge of it had been acquired by accident or mistake.
3. "Person" means a natural person, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision or agency, or any other legal or commercial entity.
4. "Trade secret" means information, including a formula, pattern, compilation, program, device, method, technique or process, that:
a.derives independent economic value, actual or potential, from not being generally known to, and not being readily ascertainable by proper means by, other persons who can obtain economic value from its disclosure or use, and
b.is the subject of efforts that are reasonable under the circumstances to maintain its secrecy.
Added by Laws 1986, c. 85, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 1986.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.