2014 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 47. Motor Vehicles
§47-12-227. Special restriction on lamps.
A. Any lighted lamp or illuminating device upon a motor vehicle, other than headlamps, spot lamps, auxiliary driving lamps, flashing turn signals, vehicular hazard warning lamps, authorized emergency vehicle lamps, snow removal and construction and maintenance vehicle warning lamps, and school bus and church bus warning lamps, which projects a beam of light of an intensity greater than three hundred (300) candlepower shall be so directed that no part of the high intensity portion of the beam will strike the level of the roadway on which the vehicle stands at a distance of more than seventy-five (75) feet from the vehicle.
B. Except as provided in Sections 12-218, 12-218.1, 12-228, and 12-229 of this title, no person shall drive or move any vehicle or equipment upon any highway with any lamp or device thereon displaying or capable of displaying a red or blue light visible from directly in front of the center thereof.
C. Flashing lights are prohibited except on:
1. An authorized emergency vehicle, as provided in Section 12-218 of this title;
2. A school bus or a church bus, as provided in Section 12-228 of this title;
3. Any snow-removal and construction, and maintenance equipment, as provided in Section 12-229 of this title;
4. A wrecker or tow vehicle while at the scene of an emergency or loading or unloading a vehicle in close proximity to traffic as needed for safety precautions or as a means of indicating the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing, as provided in Section 12-218.1 of this title;
5. Any vehicle as a means of indicating a right or left turn, as provided in Sections 12-206.1 and 12-606 of this title;
6. Any vehicle as means of indicating the presence of a vehicular traffic hazard requiring unusual care in approaching, overtaking or passing, as provided in Section 12-220 of this title;
7. Any vehicle displaying side marker lamps which flash in conjunction with turn signal lamps or vehicle hazard warning lamps, as provided in Section 12-220 of this title;
8. A farm tractor or an implement of husbandry, as provided in Section 12-215 of this title; or
9. Any vehicle used while performing official duties as a rural or contract route mail carrier of the United States Postal Service, as provided in Section 12-218.2 of this title.
D. Blue lights are prohibited except as allowed in Sections 12-218, 12-218.1, and 12-229 of this title.
E. Any person violating the provisions of subsection B, C or D of this section shall, upon conviction, be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment in the county jail not exceeding six (6) months, or by a fine not exceeding Two Thousand Dollars ($2,000.00), or by both such fine and imprisonment.
Added by Laws 1961, p. 402, § 12-227, eff. Sept. 1, 1961. Amended by Laws 1978, c. 262, § 3, eff. Oct. 1, 1978; Laws 1993, c. 13, § 5, emerg. eff. March 24, 1993; Laws 1996, c. 22, § 3, eff. July 1, 1996; Laws 1998, c. 26, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 1998; Laws 1999, c. 189, § 3, eff. July 1, 1999; Laws 2003, c. 411, § 44, eff. Nov. 1, 2003; Laws 2005, c. 50, § 9, eff. Nov. 1, 2005; Laws 2005, c. 193, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2005; Laws 2010, c. 39, § 3, eff. Nov. 1, 2010; Laws 2011, c. 81, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2011.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.