2014 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 4. Animals
§4-502. Denatured sodium pentobarbital - Method of administration – Possession and purchase by certified animal euthanasia technician.
A. Denatured sodium pentobarbital shall be administered by any one of the following methods:
1. Intravenous or intracardial injection of a lethal dose in dogs and cats. Intracardiac injection is acceptable only when performed on heavily sedated, anesthetized, or comatose animals;
2. Oral ingestion by wild or intractable dogs of powdered denatured sodium pentobarbital in capsules mixed with food, with the dog remaining in its individual cage until dead; or
3. Intraperitoneal or intracardial injection in cats, kittens and puppies when location of and injection into the vein is difficult or impossible. Intracardiac injection is acceptable only when performed on heavily sedated, anesthetized, or comatose animals.
B. Denatured sodium pentobarbital shall be administered under the following conditions:
1. A sharp and undamaged hypodermic needle shall be used for each animal and be of a size suitable for the size and species of animal, and method of injection; and
2. Administration shall be by a licensed veterinarian or by a person trained for this purpose and approved and supervised by a licensed veterinarian, or a person certified as an animal euthanasia technician by the Oklahoma State Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners or an animal control officer registered by the Oklahoma State Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control as provided in subsection D of this section.
C. 1. Any certified animal euthanasia technician that is registered by the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control, Drug Enforcement Agency, and who holds a valid certificate issued by the Oklahoma Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners or any animal control officer that is registered by the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control is authorized to purchase and possess denatured sodium pentobarbital or other drugs approved by the registering entity for euthanasia of animals provided they are working in conjunction with a law enforcement agency, animal control agency, or animal shelter that is recognized and approved by the Board or the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control; and
2. Denatured sodium pentobarbital and other drugs approved by the Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners or the Oklahoma Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs Control shall be the only drugs used for the euthanasia of animals in an animal shelter.
Added by Laws 1981, c. 167, § 2. Amended by Laws 2000, c. 199, § 2, eff. Nov. 1, 2000; Laws 2003, c. 338, § 1, eff. Nov. 1, 2003.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.