2014 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 4. Animals
As used in Section 44 et seq. of this title:
1. "Potentially dangerous dog" means any dog that:
a.when unprovoked inflicts bites on a human either on public or private property, or
b.when unprovoked attacks a dog which results in the death of said dog either on public or private property;
2. "Dangerous dog" means any dog that:
a.has inflicted severe injury on a human being without provocation on public or private property,
b.has been previously found to be potentially dangerous, the owner having received notice of such by the animal control authority in writing and the dog thereafter aggressively bites, attacks, or endangers the safety of humans, or
c.has been previously found to be potentially dangerous, the owner having received notice of such by the animal control authority in writing and the dog thereafter attacks a dog which results in the death of said dog either on public of private property;
3. "Severe injury" means any physical injury that results in broken bones or lacerations requiring multiple sutures or cosmetic surgery;
4. "Proper enclosure of a dangerous dog" means, while on the owner's property, a dangerous dog shall be securely confined indoors or in a securely enclosed and locked pen or structure with at least one hundred fifty (150) square feet of space for each dog kept therein which is over six (6) months of age, and which is suitable to prevent the entry of children and designed to prevent the animal from escaping. Such pen or structure shall have secure sides and a secure top, and shall also provide protection from the elements for the dog;
5. "Animal control authority" means an entity acting alone or in concert with other local governmental units for enforcement of the animal control laws of the city, county and state and the shelter and welfare of animals;
6. "Animal control officer" means any individual employed, contracted with, or appointed by the animal control authority for the purpose of aiding the enforcement of this act or any other law or ordinance relating to the licensure of animals, control of animals, or seizure and impoundment of animals, and includes any state or local law enforcement officer or other employee whose duties in whole or in part include assignments that involve the seizure and impoundment of any animal; and
7. "Owner" means any person, firm, corporation, organization, or department possessing, harboring, keeping, having an interest in, or having control or custody of an animal.
Added by Laws 1991, c. 199, § 1, eff. Feb. 1, 1992. Amended by Laws 2001, c. 159, § 1, emerg. eff. May 1, 2001; Laws 2006, c. 262, § 3, emerg. eff. June 7, 2006.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.