2014 Oklahoma Statutes
Title 21. Crimes and Punishments
§21-1847a. Using or allowing use of automatic dial announcing device - Exceptions - Penalties.
A. Except as provided by this subsection, no person shall use or knowingly allow the use of an automatic dial announcing device.
An automatic dial announcing device shall be used only when:
1. The device disconnects from the called person's line not later than twenty (20) seconds after the called person hangs up; and
2. For calls terminating in this state, the device is not used to make a call:
a.before 9 a.m. or after 9 p.m., or
b.at any hour that collection calls would be prohibited under the federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, 15 U.S.C., Section 1692(c), when the device is used for collection purposes; and
3. One of the following occur:
a.the calls are made or messages given solely in response to calls initiated by the person to whom the automatic calls or recorded messages are directed or who has made a written request to be called,
b.the calls made concern goods or services that have been previously ordered or purchased,
c.the calls are made by creditors or their assignees, or
d.the calls are initiated by a live operator who gives the caller the option to disconnect prior to the playing of a prerecorded or synthesized voice message.
B. A person who violates any provision of this section is guilty of a misdemeanor.
C. The Attorney General may seek injunctive relief to enforce this section pursuant to the Oklahoma Consumer Protection Act.
D. In the event that a civil action is filed pursuant to this subsection, the prevailing party shall be entitled to a reasonable attorney's fee.
E. A contract or agreement to purchase any goods or services for sale executed in violation of the provisions of this section shall be voidable at the option of the person who has subscribed to telephone services from a telephone company.
F. For purposes of this section, "automatic dial announcing device" means automatic equipment that:
1. Stores telephone numbers to be called, or has a random or sequential number generator capable of producing numbers to be called;
2. Conveys a prerecorded or synthesized voice message to the number called; and
3. Is used for the purpose of offering any goods or services for sale or conveying information regarding such goods or services.
Added by Laws 1991, c. 279, § 1, eff. July 1, 1991. Amended by Laws 1992, c. 317, § 4, eff. July 1, 1992.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Oklahoma may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.