2006 Ohio Revised Code - [2927.02.3] 2927.023.Shipping cigarettes to anyone other than authorized recipient of tobacco products; containers and wrappings.
(A) As used in this section "authorized recipient of tobacco products" means a person who is:
(1) Licensed as a cigarette wholesale dealer under section 5743.15 of the Revised Code;
(2) Licensed as a distributor of tobacco products under section 5743.61 of the Revised Code;
(3) An export warehouse proprietor as defined in section 5702 of the Internal Revenue Code;
(4) An operator of a customs bonded warehouse under 19 U.S.C. 1311 or 19 U.S.C. 1555;
(5) An officer, employee, or agent of the federal government or of this state acting in the person's official capacity;
(6) A department, agency, instrumentality, or political subdivision of the federal government or of this state;
(7) A person having a consent for consumer shipment issued by the tax commissioner under section 5743.71 of the Revised Code.
The purpose of this section is to prevent the sale of cigarettes to minors and to ensure compliance with the Master Settlement Agreement, as defined in section 1346.01 of the Revised Code.
(B) (1) No person shall cause to be shipped any cigarettes to any person in this state other than an authorized recipient of tobacco products.
(2) No common carrier, contract carrier, or other person shall knowingly transport cigarettes to any person in this state that the carrier or other person reasonably believes is not an authorized recipient of tobacco products. If cigarettes are transported to a home or residence, it shall be presumed that the common carrier, contract carrier, or other person knew that the person to whom the cigarettes were delivered was not an authorized recipient of tobacco products.
(C) No person engaged in the business of selling cigarettes who ships or causes to be shipped cigarettes to any person in this state in any container or wrapping other than the original container or wrapping of the cigarettes shall fail to plainly and visibly mark the exterior of the container or wrapping in which the cigarettes are shipped with the words "cigarettes."
HISTORY: 151 v H 66, § 101.01, eff. 6-30-05.
The effective date is set by § 612.21 of 151 v H 66.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. Ohio may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.