2022 North Dakota Century Code
Title 30.1 - Uniform Probate Code
Chapter 30.1-26 - General Provisions

Download as PDF
CHAPTER 30.1-26 GENERAL PROVISIONS 30.1-26-01. (5-101) Definitions and use of terms. Unless otherwise apparent from the context, in this title: 1. "Alternative resource plan" means a plan that provides an alternative to guardianship, using available support services and arrangements which are acceptable to the alleged incapacitated person. The plan may include the use of providers of service such as visiting nurses, homemakers, home health aides, personal care attendants, adult day care and multipurpose senior citizen centers; home and community-based care, human service zones, and developmental disability services; powers of attorney, representative and protective payees; and licensed congregate care facilities. 2. "Incapacitated person" means any adult person who is impaired by reason of mental illness, mental deficiency, physical illness or disability, or chemical dependency to the extent that the person lacks capacity to make or communicate responsible decisions concerning that person's matters of residence, education, medical treatment, legal affairs, vocation, finance, or other matters, or which incapacity endangers the person's health or safety. 3. "Least restrictive form of intervention" means that the guardianship imposed on the ward must compensate for only those limitations necessary to provide the needed care and services, and that the ward must enjoy the greatest amount of personal freedom and civil liberties consistent with the ward's mental and physical limitations. 4. A "protected person" is a minor or other person for whom a conservator or limited conservator has been appointed or other protective order has been made. 5. A "protective proceeding" is a proceeding under the provisions of section 30.1-29-01 to determine that a person cannot effectively manage or apply the person's estate to necessary ends, either because the person lacks the ability or is otherwise inconvenienced, or because the person is a minor, and to secure administration of the person's estate by a conservator or other appropriate relief. 6. A "ward" is a person for whom a guardian or limited guardian has been appointed. A "minor ward" is a minor for whom a guardian has been appointed solely because of minority. 30.1-26-02. (5-102) Jurisdiction of subject matter - Consolidation of proceedings. The court has jurisdiction over protective proceedings and guardianship proceedings. 30.1-26-03. (5-103) Facility of payment or delivery. Any person under a duty to pay or deliver money or personal property to a minor may perform this duty, in amounts not exceeding five thousand dollars per annum, by paying or delivering the money or property to: 1. The minor, if the minor is married; 2. Any person having the care and custody of the minor with whom the minor resides; 3. A guardian of the minor; or 4. A financial institution incident to a deposit in a federally insured savings account in the sole name of the minor and giving notice of the deposit to the minor. This section does not apply if the person making payment or delivery has actual knowledge that a conservator has been appointed or proceedings for appointment of a conservator of the estate of the minor are pending. The persons, other than the minor or any financial institution under subsection 4, receiving money or property for a minor, are obligated to apply the money to the support and education of the minor, but may not pay themselves except by way of reimbursement for out-of-pocket expenses for goods and services necessary for the minor's support. Any excess sums shall be preserved for future support of the minor and any balance not so used and any property received for the minor must be turned over to the minor when the minor attains majority. Persons who pay or deliver in accordance with provisions of this section are not responsible for the proper application thereof. Page No. 1 30.1-26-04. (5-104) Delegation of powers by parent or guardian. A parent or a guardian of a minor or incapacitated person, by a properly executed power of attorney, may delegate to another person, for a period not exceeding six months, any of the parent's or guardian's powers regarding care, custody, or property of the minor child or ward, except the power to consent to marriage or adoption of a minor ward. Page No. 2
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. North Dakota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.
This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.