2016 North Dakota Century Code
Download as PDF
CURRENCY EXCHANGE BUSINESSES
51-17.1-01. Currency exchange - Penalty.
1. A nonbanking institution may engage in the business of a currency exchange if:
a. The institution does not contract with another person to manage the currency
exchange business; however, this does not prohibit the business from employing
individuals to operate a currency exchange business;
b. The institution displays in a prominent manner on the premises of the business
the fees charged to exchange currency;
c. The maximum fees charged to exchange currency are limited to any direct cost of
verification fees and:
(1) The greater of five percent of the face amount or five dollars, for cashing a
draft, personal check, payroll check, traveler's check, or money order; and
(2) The greater of three percent of the face amount or five dollars, for cashing a
state public assistance check or a federal social security check;
d. The institution does not accept money or currency for deposit or act as bailee or
agent of persons to hold money or currency in escrow for others for any purpose;
e. The institution does not exchange currency on the premises of a charitable
2. For purposes of this section, "currency exchange" means cashing a check, draft,
money order, or traveler's check or issuing a money order or traveler's check as an
agent for another, for a fee. The term does not include providing these services
incidental to a primary business if there is not a charge for cashing a check or draft.
3. This section does not authorize a business to make any type of loan, including a
deferred presentment service transaction, payday loan, cash advance, payday cash
advance, or motor vehicle title loan.
4. A nonbanking institution may not accept a postdated check in a currency exchange
5. A person violating this section is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.
Page No. 1
Title 51 Sales and Exchanges
Chapter 51-17.1 Currency Exchange Businesses
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. North Dakota may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.