2019 North Carolina General Statutes
Chapter 38A - Landowner Liability
§ 38A-2 - Definitions.
The following definitions shall apply throughout this Chapter, unless otherwise specified:
(1) "Charge" means a price or fee asked for services, entertainment, recreation performed, or products offered for sale on land or in return for an invitation or permission to enter upon land, except as otherwise excluded in this Chapter.
(2) "Educational purpose" means any activity undertaken as part of a formal or informal educational program, and viewing historical, natural, archaeological, or scientific sites.
(3) "Land" means real property, land, and water, but does not mean a dwelling and the property immediately adjacent to and surrounding such dwelling that is generally used for activities associated with occupancy of the dwelling as a living space.
(4) "Owner" means any individual or nongovernmental legal entity that has any fee, leasehold interest, or legal possession, and any employee or agent of such individual or nongovernmental legal entity.
(5) "Recreational purpose" means any activity undertaken for recreation, exercise, education, relaxation, refreshment, diversion, or pleasure or sport, including equestrian recreation as defined in G.S. 99E-1.(1995, c. 308, s. 1; 2013-265, s. 3.1.)