2015 North Carolina General Statutes
Chapter 42A - Vacation Rental Act.
Article 5 - Landlord and Tenant Duties.
§ 42A-31 - Landlord to provide fit premises.
42A-31. Landlord to provide fit premises.
A landlord of a residential property used for a vacation rental shall:
(1) Comply with all current applicable building and housing codes.
(2) Make all repairs and do whatever is reasonably necessary to put and keep the property in a fit and habitable condition.
(3) Keep all common areas of the property in safe condition.
(4) Maintain in good and safe working order and reasonably and promptly repair all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, and other facilities and major appliances supplied by him or her upon written notification from the tenant that repairs are needed.
(5) Provide operable smoke detectors. The landlord shall replace or repair the smoke detectors if the landlord is notified by the tenant in writing that replacement or repair is needed. The landlord shall annually place new batteries in a battery-operated smoke detector, and the tenant shall replace the batteries as needed during the tenancy. Failure of the tenant to replace the batteries as needed shall not be considered negligence on the part of the tenant or landlord.
These duties shall not be waived; however, the landlord and tenant may make additional covenants not inconsistent herewith in the vacation rental agreement. (1999-420, s. 1.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. North Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.