2014 North Carolina General Statutes
Chapter 95 - Department of Labor and Labor Regulations.
Article 21 - Retaliatory Employment Discrimination.
§ 95-241 - Discrimination prohibited.
95-241. Discrimination prohibited.
(a) No person shall discriminate or take any retaliatory action against an employee because the employee in good faith does or threatens to do any of the following:
(1) File a claim or complaint, initiate any inquiry, investigation, inspection, proceeding or other action, or testify or provide information to any person with respect to any of the following:
a. Chapter 97 of the General Statutes.
b. Article 2A or Article 16 of this Chapter.
c. Article 2A of Chapter 74 of the General Statutes.
d. G.S. 95-28.1.
e. Article 16 of Chapter 127A of the General Statutes.
f. G.S. 95-28.1A.
g. Article 52 of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.
h. Article 5F of Chapter 90 of the General Statutes.
(2) Cause any of the activities listed in subdivision (1) of this subsection to be initiated on an employee's behalf.
(3) Exercise any right on behalf of the employee or any other employee afforded by Article 2A or Article 16 of this Chapter, by Article 2A of Chapter 74 of the General Statutes, or by Article 52 of Chapter 143 of the General Statutes.
(4) Comply with the provisions of Article 27 of Chapter 7B of the General Statutes.
(5) Exercise rights under Chapter 50B. Actions brought under this subdivision shall be in accordance with the provisions of G.S. 50B-5.5.
(b) It shall not be a violation of this Article for a person to discharge or take any other unfavorable action with respect to an employee who has engaged in protected activity as set forth under this Article if the person proves by the greater weight of the evidence that it would have taken the same unfavorable action in the absence of the protected activity of the employee. (1991 (Reg. Sess., 1992), c. 1021, s. 1; 1993, c. 423, s. 1; 1997-153, s. 7; 1997-350, s. 3; 1998-202, s. 7; 1999-423, s. 4; 2004-186, s. 18.2; 2008-212, s. 1; 2009-205, s. 2.)
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. North Carolina may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.