2019 New York Laws
PBH - Public Health
Article 13-E - Regulation of Smoking and Vaping in Certain Public Areas
1399-Q - Smoking and Vaping Restrictions Inapplicable.
§ 1399-q. Smoking and vaping restrictions inapplicable. This article shall not apply to:
1. Private homes, private residences and private automobiles;
2. A hotel or motel room rented to one or more guests;
3. Retail tobacco businesses;
4. Membership associations; provided, however, that smoking and vaping shall only be allowed in membership associations in which all of the duties with respect to the operation of such association, including, but not limited to, the preparation of food and beverages, the service of food and beverages, reception and secretarial work, and the security services of the membership association are performed by members of such membership association who do not receive compensation of any kind from the membership association or any other entity for the performance of such duties;
5. Cigar bars that, in the calendar year ending December thirty-first, two thousand two, generated ten percent or more of its total annual gross income from the on-site sale of tobacco products and the rental of on-site humidors, not including any sales from vending machines, and is registered with the appropriate enforcement officer, as defined in subdivision one of section thirteen hundred ninety-nine-t of this article. Such registration shall remain in effect for one year and shall be renewable only if: (a) in the preceding calendar year, the cigar bar generated ten percent or more of its total annual gross income from the on-site sale of tobacco products and the rental of on-site humidors, and (b) the cigar bar has not expanded its size or changed its location from its size or location since December thirty-first, two thousand two;
6. Outdoor dining areas of food service establishments with no roof or other ceiling enclosure; provided, however, that smoking and vaping may be permitted in a contiguous area designated for smoking and vaping so long as such area: (a) constitutes no more than twenty-five percent of the outdoor seating capacity of such food service establishment, (b) is at least three feet away from the outdoor area of such food service establishment not designated for smoking and vaping, and (c) is clearly designated with written signage as a smoking and vaping area;
7. Enclosed rooms in food service establishments, bars, catering halls, convention halls, hotel and motel conference rooms, and other such similar facilities during the time such enclosed areas or rooms are being used exclusively for functions where the public is invited for the primary purpose of promoting and sampling tobacco products or electronic cigarettes, and the service of food and drink is incidental to such purpose, provided that the sponsor or organizer gives notice in any promotional material or advertisements that smoking and vaping will not be restricted, and prominently posts notice at the entrance of the facility and has provided notice of such function to the appropriate enforcement officer, as defined in subdivision one of section thirteen hundred ninety-nine-t of this article, at least two weeks prior to such function. The enforcement officer shall keep a record of all tobacco sampling events, and such record shall be made available for public inspection. No such facility shall permit smoking and vaping under this subdivision for more than two days in any calendar year; and
8. Retail electronic cigarette stores, provided however, that such stores may only permit the use of electronic cigarettes.