2019 New York Laws
GBS - General Business
Article 39-E - Uniform Athlete Agents Act
899-A - Definitions.
§ 899-a. Definitions. As used in this article the following terms shall have the following meanings:
1. "Agency contract" means an agreement in which a student-athlete authorizes a person to negotiate or solicit on behalf of the student-athlete a professional sports-services contract or an endorsement contract.
2. "Athlete agent" means an individual who enters into an agency contract with a student-athlete or, directly or indirectly, recruits or solicits a student-athlete to enter into an agency contract. Such term includes an individual who represents to the public that the individual is an athlete agent. This term shall not include a spouse, parent, sibling, grandparent or guardian of the student-athlete, or an individual acting solely on behalf of a professional sports team or professional sports organization.
3. "Athletic director" means an individual responsible for administering the overall athletic program of an educational institution or, if an educational institution has separately administered athletic programs for male students and female students, the athletic program for males or the athletic program for females, as appropriate.
4. "Contact" means a communication, direct or indirect, between an athlete agent and a student-athlete, to recruit or solicit the student-athlete to enter into an agency contract.
5. "Endorsement contract" means an agreement under which a student-athlete is employed or receives consideration to use on behalf of the other party any value that the student-athlete may have because of publicity, reputation, following or fame obtained because of athletic ability or performance.
6. "Intercollegiate sport" means a sport played at the collegiate level for which eligibility requirements for participation by a student-athlete are established by a national association which promotes or regulates such sport and is recognized by the educational institution that said student-athlete attends.
7. "Person" means an individual, corporation, business trust, estate, trust, partnership, limited liability company, association, joint venture, government, governmental subdivision, agency, instrumentality, public corporation, or any other legal or commercial entity.
8. "Professional sports-services contract" means an agreement under which an individual is employed, or agrees to render services, as a player on a professional sports team, with a professional sports organization or as a professional athlete.
9. "Record" means information that is inscribed on a tangible medium or that is stored in an electronic or other medium and is retrievable in perceivable form.
10. "Registration" means registration as an athlete agent pursuant to this article.
11. "State" means a state of the United States, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, the United States Virgin Islands, or any territory or insular possession subject to the jurisdiction of the United States.
12. "Student-athlete" means an individual who engages in, is eligible to engage in, may be eligible in the future to engage in or was eligible in the past thirty days to engage in any intercollegiate or interscholastic sport. If an individual is permanently ineligible to participate in a particular intercollegiate sport, such individual shall not be considered a student-athlete thirty days after losing his or her eligibility for purposes of that sport.