2019 New York Laws
EXC - Executive
Article 18 - New York State Uniform Fire Prevention and Building Code Act
372 - Definitions.
§ 372. Definitions. As used in this article, the following terms shall have the meaning ascribed to them, unless the context otherwise requires:
1. "Administrator" means the state fire administrator established pursuant to article six-C of this chapter.
2. "Areas of public assembly" means all buildings or portions of buildings used for gathering together fifty or more persons for amusement, athletic, civic, dining, educational, entertainment, patriotic, political, recreational, religious, social, or similar purposes, the entire fire area of which they are a part, and the means of egress therefrom.
3. "Building" means a combination of any materials, whether portable or fixed, having a roof, to form a structure affording shelter for persons, animals or property. The word "building" shall be construed when used herein as though followed by the words "or part or parts thereof" unless the context clearly requires a different meaning. The term "building" shall also mean "factory manufactured home" and "mobile home". The term "building" shall not include a "temporary greenhouse".
4. "Construction" means the construction, reconstruction, alteration, conversion, repair, installation of equipment or use of buildings, and requirements or standards relating to or affecting materials used in connection therewith, including provisions for safety and sanitary conditions.
5. "Council" means the state fire prevention and building code council created by this article.
6. "Department" means the department of state.
7. "Equipment" means plumbing, heating, electrical, ventilating, air conditioning, refrigerating equipment, elevators, dumb waiters, escalators and other mechanical additions or installations.
8. "Factory manufactured home" means a structure designed primarily for residential occupancy constructed by a method or system of construction whereby the structure or its components are wholly or in substantial part manufactured in manufacturing facilities, intended or designed for permanent installation, or assembly and permanent installation, on a building site.
9. "Fire area" means the floor area of a story of a building within exterior walls, party walls, fire walls, or any combination thereof.
10. "Fire protection equipment and systems" means apparatus, assemblies, or systems, either portable or fixed, for use to detect, prevent, control, or extinguish fire.
11. "Local government" means a village, town (outside the area of any incorporated village) or city.
12. "Means of egress" means a continuous unobstructed way of exit from any point in a building or structure to a public way. A means of egress comprises the vertical and horizontal ways of travel and includes intervening room spaces, doorways, hallways, corridors, passageways, balconies, ramps, stairs, enclosures, lobbies, escalators, horizontal exits, courts, and yards.
13. "Mobile home" means a moveable or portable unit designed and constructed to be towed on its own chassis, comprised of frame and wheels, connected to utilities, and designed and constructed without a permanent foundation for year-round living. A unit may contain parts that may be folded, collapsed or telescoped when being towed and expanded later to provide additional cubic capacity as well as two or more separately towable components designed to be joined into one integral unit capable of being again separated into the components for repeated towing. "Mobile home" shall mean units designed to be used exclusively for residential purposes, excluding travel trailers.
14. "Office" means the office of fire prevention and control created pursuant to article six-C of this chapter.
15. "Secretary" means the secretary of state.
16. "State agency" means any department, bureau, commission, board, public authority or other agency of the state, including any public benefit corporation any member of whose board is appointed by the governor.
17. "Temporary greenhouse" means specialized agricultural equipment having a framework covered with demountable polyurethane materials or materials of polyurethane nature and lacking a permanent and continuous foundation, which is specifically designed, constructed and used for the culture and propagation of horticultural commodities. A "temporary greenhouse" may include, but is not limited to, the use of heating devices, water and electrical utilities, and supporting poles embedded in non-continuous concrete. In no instance will a temporary greenhouse be used for the retail sale of any farm or non-farm products.
18. "Uniform code" or "code" means the New York state uniform fire prevention and building code promulgated pursuant to section three hundred seventy-seven of this article.
19. "Truss type construction" means a fabricated structure of wood or steel, made up of a series of members connected at their ends to form a series of triangles to span a distance greater than would be possible with any of the individual members on their own.