2019 New York Laws
ENV - Environmental Conservation
Article 14 - New York Ocean and Great Lakes Ecosystem Conservation Act
14-0105 - Definitions.
§ 14-0105. Definitions.
As used in this article:
1. "Coastal waters" means lakes Erie and Ontario, the St. Lawrence and Niagara rivers, the Hudson river south of the federal dam at Troy, the East river, the Harlem river, the Kill von Kull, and Arthur Kill, Long Island sound, and the Atlantic ocean, and their connecting water bodies, bays, harbors, shallows, and marshes.
2. "Coastal ecosystems" mean the resources of coastal waters and their watersheds.
3. "Council" means the New York ocean and Great Lakes ecosystem conservation council created by section 14-0107 of this article.
4. "Submerged aquatic vegetation" means native underwater plants found in coastal waters, including but not limited to, eelgrass (Zostera marina), widgeon grass (Ruppia maritima), wild celery (Vallisineria Americana), and pondweed (Potomageton crispus).
5. "Submerged aquatic vegetation meadows" means those habitats in coastal waters vegetated with one or more species of submerged aquatic vegetation.