2018 New York Laws
PBH - Public Health
Article 33 - Controlled Substances
Title 5-A - Medical Use of Marihuana
3360 - Definitions.
* § 3360. Definitions. As used in this title, the following terms shall have the following meanings, unless the context clearly requires otherwise:
1. "Certified medical use" means the acquisition, possession, use, or, transportation of medical marihuana by a certified patient, or the acquisition, possession, delivery, transportation or administration of medical marihuana by a designated caregiver, for use as part of the treatment of the patient's serious condition, as authorized in a certification under this title including enabling the patient to tolerate treatment for the serious condition. A certified medical use does not include smoking.
2. "Caring for" means treating a patient, in the course of which the practitioner has completed a full assessment of the patient's medical history and current medical condition.
3. "Certified patient" means a patient who is a resident of New York state or receiving care and treatment in New York state as determined by the commissioner in regulation, and is certified under section thirty-three hundred sixty-one of this title.
4. "Certification" means a certification, made under section thirty-three hundred sixty-one of this title.
5. "Designated caregiver" means the individual designated by a certified patient in a registry application. A certified patient may designate up to two designated caregivers.
6. "Public place" means a public place as defined in regulation by the commissioner.
7. (a) "Serious condition" means:
(i) having one of the following severe debilitating or life-threatening conditions: cancer, positive status for human immunodeficiency virus or acquired immune deficiency syndrome, amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, damage to the nervous tissue of the spinal cord with objective neurological indication of intractable spasticity, epilepsy, inflammatory bowel disease, neuropathies, Huntington's disease, post-traumatic stress disorder, pain that degrades health and functional capability where the use of medical marihuana is an alternative to opioid use, substance use disorder, or as added by the commissioner; and
(ii) any of the following conditions where it is clinically associated with, or a complication of, a condition under this paragraph or its treatment: cachexia or wasting syndrome; severe or chronic pain; severe nausea; seizures; severe or persistent muscle spasms; or such conditions as are added by the commissioner.
(b) No later than eighteen months from the effective date of this section, the commissioner shall determine whether to add the following serious conditions: Alzheimer's, muscular dystrophy, dystonia, post-traumatic stress disorder and rheumatoid arthritis.
8. "Medical marihuana" means marihuana as defined in subdivision twenty-one of section thirty-three hundred two of this article, intended for a certified medical use, as determined by the commissioner in his or her sole discretion. Any form of medical marihuana not approved by the commissioner is expressly prohibited.
9. "Registered organization" means a registered organization under sections thirty-three hundred sixty-four and thirty-three hundred sixty-five of this title.
10. "Registry application" means an application properly completed and filed with the department by a certified patient under section thirty-three hundred sixty-three of this title.
11. "Registry identification card" means a document that identifies a certified patient or designated caregiver, as provided under section thirty-three hundred sixty-three of this title.
12. "Practitioner" means a practitioner who (i) is a physician licensed by New York state and practicing within the state, (ii) who by training or experience is qualified to treat a serious condition as defined in subdivision seven of this section; and (iii) has completed a two to four hour course as determined by the commissioner in regulation and registered with the department; provided however, a registration shall not be denied without cause. Such course may count toward board certification requirements. The commissioner shall consider the inclusion of nurse practitioners under this title based upon considerations including access and availability. After such consideration the commissioner is authorized to deem nurse practitioners as practitioners under this title.
13. "Terminally ill" means an individual has a medical prognosis that the individual's life expectancy is approximately one year or less if the illness runs its normal course.
14. "Labor peace agreement" means an agreement between an entity and a labor organization that, at a minimum, protects the state's proprietary interests by prohibiting labor organizations and members from engaging in picketing, work stoppages, boycotts, and any other economic interference with the registered organization's business.
15. "Individual dose" means a single measure of raw medical marihuana or non-infused concentrates to be determined and clearly identified by a patient's practitioner for the patient's specific certified condition. For ingestible or sub-lingual medical marihuana products, no individual dose may contain more than ten milligrams of tetrahydrocannabinol.
16. "Form of medical marihuana" means characteristics of the medical marihuana recommended or limited for a particular certified patient, including the method of consumption and any particular strain, variety, and quantity or percentage of marihuana or particular active ingredient.
17. "Applicant" means a for-profit entity or not-for-profit corporation and includes: board members, officers, managers, owners, partners, principal stakeholders and members who submit an application to become a registered organization.
18. "Special certification" means a special certification made under subdivision nine of section thirty-three hundred sixty-one of this title.
* NB Repealed July 5, 2021