2016 New York Laws
WKC - Workers' Compensation
Article 6 - (Workers' Compensation) State Insurance Fund.
76 - Creation of state fund.
76. Creation of state fund. 1. There is hereby continued in the department of labor a fund known as "the state insurance fund", for the purpose of insuring employers against liability for personal injuries or death sustained by their employees, including liability other than liability assumed by contract imposed upon employers by reason of a suit or claim brought against the employer by another to recover the amount of damages obtained from such other by an employee of the employer for injuries or in case of death by his dependents for death sustained by such employee arising out of and in the course of his employment and to pay such damages, and of assuring to the persons entitled thereto the compensation and benefits provided by this chapter or by any act providing for compensation now or hereafter enacted by the congress of the United States of America if such liability is incident to an employment carried on in this state, and every such payment shall constitute an element of loss for the purpose of establishing premium rates. Such fund shall consist of all premiums received and paid into the fund, of property and securities acquired by and through the use of moneys belonging to the fund and of interest earned upon moneys belonging to the fund and deposited or invested as herein provided. Such fund shall be applicable to the payment of losses sustained on account of insurance, to the payment of expenses in the manner provided in this chapter and to the payment of premiums for reinsurance in any insurance corporation of the whole or any part of any policy obligations.
2. The purposes of the state insurance fund herein created are hereby enlarged to provide insurance for the payment of the benefits required by section two hundred four of this chapter including benefits for family leave. A separate fund is hereby created within the state insurance fund, which shall be known as the "disability benefits fund", and which shall consist of all premiums received and paid into said fund on account of such insurance, all securities acquired by and through the use of moneys belonging to said fund and of interest earned upon moneys belonging to said fund and deposited or invested as herein provided. Said disability benefits fund shall be applicable to the payment of benefits, expenses and assessments on account of insurance written pursuant to article nine of this chapter. Premiums for policies providing disability and family leave benefits in accordance with this article shall be calculated in accordance with applicable provisions of the insurance law, including subsection (n) of section four thousand two hundred thirty-five of such law. The state insurance fund shall have authority to discount or surcharge on established premium rates based on sound actuarial principles.
2-b. The purposes of the state insurance fund created in this section are hereby enlarged to provide for the insurance by the state insurance fund of the payment of the benefits required by section one hundred sixty-ddd of the executive law.
3. The respective assets and liabilities of the workers' compensation and disability benefits funds provided in this section shall be and remain separate except that advances may be made from either fund for the payment of benefits and for administrative expenses, subject to annual reimbursement.
Whenever used in this article the terms "state insurance fund", "state fund" and "fund" shall be deemed to include both the workers' compensation fund and the disability benefits fund unless the context otherwise indicates.
4. The purposes of such state insurance fund are hereby further enlarged to permit it to furnish to self-insurers, as defined in subdivision three of section fifty of this chapter, representation and services of the nature specified in paragraph five of subsection (a) of section one thousand six hundred one of the insurance law and subdivision three-d of section fifty of this chapter.
5. No monies of the state insurance fund shall be transferred to any other fund, nor shall any such monies be applied to the making of any payment for any purpose other than the purposes set forth in this article.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.