2016 New York Laws
GBS - General Business
Article 39-G - (General Business) DOCUMENT DESTRUCTION CONTRACTORS
899-AAA - Definitions.
899-aaa. Definitions. As used in this article, the following terms shall have the following meanings:
1. "Certificate" means a certificate of registration issued under this article.
2. "Department" means the New York state department of state.
3. "Document" means any record kept, held, filed, produced or reproduced by, with or for a person or business entity, in any physical form whatsoever including, but not limited to, reports, statements, examinations, memoranda, opinions, folders, files, books, manuals, pamphlets, forms, papers, designs, drawings, maps, photos, letters, microfilms, or computer tapes or discs.
4. "Document destruction" means the burning, pulverizing, or shredding of a record, or any action taken to render the personal identifying information contained on a record unreadable and incapable of reconstruction.
5. "Document destruction contractor" means a person, firm or corporation that owns or operates a business, the principal purpose of which is to destroy records containing personal identifying information for a fee, and for whom the total cash price of all of his, her or its document destruction contracts exceeds five hundred dollars during any period of twelve consecutive months.
6. "Personal information" means any information concerning a natural person which, because of name, number, personal mark, or other identifier, can be used to identify such natural person.
7. "Personal identifying information" means personal information consisting of any information in combination with any one or more of the following data elements, when either the personal information or the data element is not encrypted, or encrypted with an encryption key that is included in the same record as the encrypted personal information or data element:
(a) social security number;
(b) driver's registration number or non-driver identification card number; or
(c) mother's maiden name, financial services account number or code, savings account number or code, checking account number or code, debit card number or code, automated teller machine number or code, electronic serial number or personal identification number.
8. "Personal identification number" means any number or code which may be used alone or in conjunction with any other information to assume the identity of another person or access financial resources or credit of another person.
9. "Record" means any information kept, held, filed, produced or reproduced by, with or for a person or business entity, in any physical form whatsoever including, but not limited to, reports, statements, examinations, memoranda, opinions, folders, files, books, manuals, pamphlets, forms, papers, designs, drawings, maps, photos, letters, microfilms, or computer tapes or discs.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.