2016 New York Laws
AGM - Agriculture & Markets
Article 3 - (Agriculture & Markets) Investigation; Practice and Procedure; Violations; Penalties.
34 - Practice on hearings; attendance and examination of witnesses.
34. Practice on hearings; attendance and examination of witnesses. 1. The practice on all investigations and hearings conducted or instituted as provided in this chapter shall be governed by the rules of the department, and in all such hearings or investigations where testimony is taken, the commissioner, or other officer conducting the same, shall not be bound by the technical rules of evidence.
2. All subpoenas shall be signed and issued by the commissioner, a deputy commissioner or the counsel of the department.
The fees of witnesses shall be audited and paid in the same manner as other expenses of the department. Whenever a subpoena is issued at the instance of a complainant, respondent or other party to the proceeding, the cost of the service thereof and the fees of the witness shall be borne by the party at whose instance the witness is subpoenaed.
3. If a person subpoenaed to attend before the commissioner or other officer of the department, fails to obey the command of such subpoena, without reasonable cause, or if a person in attendance upon an investigation or hearing shall, without reasonable cause, refuse to be sworn or to be examined or to answer a question or to produce a book or paper, when ordered so to do by the officer or officers conducting such an investigation or hearing, or to subscribe and swear to his deposition after it has been correctly reduced to writing, if required so to do, he shall be guilty of a misdemeanor and may be prosecuted therefor in any court of competent criminal jurisdiction.
4. A subpoena issued under this section shall be regulated by the civil practice law and rules.
5. Any person who shall wilfully testify falsely as to any material matter pending in an investigation or proceeding under this chapter shall be guilty of perjury.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.