2015 New York Laws
LAB - Labor
Article 7 - (Labor) GENERAL PROVISIONS
202-A - Leave of absence for bone marrow donations.

NY Lab L § 202-A (2015) What's This?

202-a. Leave of absence for bone marrow donations. 1. For the purposes of this section, the following terms shall have the following meanings:

(a) "Employee" means a person who performs services for hire for an employer, for an average of twenty or more hours per week, and includes all individuals employed at any site owned or operated by an employer but shall not include an independent contractor.

(b) "Employer" means a person or entity that employs twenty or more employees at at least one site and includes an individual, corporation, partnership, association, nonprofit organization, group of persons, county, town, city, school district, public authority or other governmental subdivision of any kind.

2. An employer must grant leaves of absence to an employee who seeks to undergo a medical procedure to donate bone marrow. The combined length of the leaves shall be determined by the physician, but may not exceed twenty-four work hours, unless agreed to by the employer. The employer may require verification by a physician for the purpose and length of each leave requested by the employee to donate bone marrow.

3. An employer shall not retaliate against an employee for requesting or obtaining a leave of absence as provided by this section for the purpose of undergoing a medical procedure to donate bone marrow.

4. The provisions of this section shall not prevent an employer from providing leave for bone marrow donations in addition to leave allowed under any other provision of law. The provisions of this section shall not affect an employee's rights with respect to any other employee benefit otherwise provided by law.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.