2014 New York Laws
LAB - Labor
Article 6 - (190 - 199-A) PAYMENT OF WAGES
190 - Definitions.
190. Definitions. As used in this article:
1. "Wages" means the earnings of an employee for labor or services rendered, regardless of whether the amount of earnings is determined on a time, piece, commission or other basis. The term "wages" also includes benefits or wage supplements as defined in section one hundred ninety-eight-c of this article, except for the purposes of sections one hundred ninety-one and one hundred ninety-two of this article.
2. "Employee" means any person employed for hire by an employer in any employment.
3. "Employer" includes any person, corporation, limited liability company, or association employing any individual in any occupation, industry, trade, business or service. The term "employer" shall not include a governmental agency.
4. "Manual worker" means a mechanic, workingman or laborer.
5. "Railroad worker" means any person employed by an employer who operates a steam, electric or diesel surface railroad or is engaged in the sleeping car business. The term "railroad worker" shall not include a person employed in an executive capacity.
6. "Commission salesman" means any employee whose principal activity is the selling of any goods, wares, merchandise, services, real estate, securities, insurance or any article or thing and whose earnings are based in whole or in part on commissions. The term "commission salesman" does not include an employee whose principal activity is of a supervisory, managerial, executive or administrative nature.
7. "Clerical and other worker" includes all employees not included in subdivisions four, five and six of this section, except any person employed in a bona fide executive, administrative or professional capacity whose earnings are in excess of nine hundred dollars a week.
8. "Week" means a calendar week or a regularly established payroll week. "Month" means a calendar month or a regularly established fiscal month.
9. "Non-profitmaking organization" means a corporation, unincorporated association, community chest, fund or foundation organized and operated exclusively for religious, charitable or educational purposes, no part of the net earnings of which inure to the benefit of any private shareholder or individual.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.