2014 New York Laws
LAB - Labor
Article 30 - (900 - 910) ASBESTOS OR PRODUCTS CONTAINING ASBESTOS; LICENSING
902 - Licensing and certification requirements.
902. Licensing and certification requirements. 1. It shall be unlawful for any contractor to engage in an asbestos project unless such contractor has a valid asbestos handling license issued by the commissioner. Such license will not be issued without evidence of successful completion by the contractor, or a supervisor designated to act as the contractor's agent, of an approved asbestos safety program which is, at the least, equivalent to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Model Accreditation Plan (40 CFR Part 763) and the submission of any additional information which the commissioner may require.
2. A copy of a valid asbestos handling license or other proof of the issuance of a valid asbestos handling license granted to the contractor who will be undertaking the asbestos project must be submitted by the bidder in a form acceptable to the commissioner prior to the award of any public works contract all or part of which involves an asbestos project.
3. A copy of a valid asbestos handling license must be conspicuously displayed at the work site on an asbestos project.
4. It shall be unlawful for any contractor to engage in or to permit a person employed by the contractor, including but not limited to handlers, project designers, inspectors and management planners, to engage in work on an asbestos project or to supervise persons engaging in work on an asbestos project unless each such person and supervisor has a valid asbestos handling certificate. Such certificate will not be issued without evidence of successful completion by each such person of an approved asbestos safety program and the submission of any additional information which the commissioner may require.
5. Any person employed on an asbestos project or the supervisor of any person engaged in work on an asbestos project or any other person who is otherwise required by law or regulation to obtain an asbestos handler's certificate shall have in his or her possession at all times during the work on the project a copy of the asbestos handling certificate issued to the person by the commissioner.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.