2014 New York Laws
CVP - Civil Practice Law & Rules
Article 3 - (301 - R328) JURISDICTION AND SERVICE, APPEARANCE AND CHOICE OF COURT
311 - Personal service upon a corporation or governmental subdivision.
311. Personal service upon a corporation or governmental subdivision. (a) Personal service upon a corporation or governmental subdivision shall be made by delivering the summons as follows:
1. upon any domestic or foreign corporation, to an officer, director, managing or general agent, or cashier or assistant cashier or to any other agent authorized by appointment or by law to receive service. A business corporation may also be served pursuant to section three hundred six or three hundred seven of the business corporation law. A not-for-profit corporation may also be served pursuant to section three hundred six or three hundred seven of the not-for-profit corporation law;
2. upon the city of New York, to the corporation counsel or to any person designated to receive process in a writing filed in the office of the clerk of New York county;
3. upon any other city, to the mayor, comptroller, treasurer, counsel or clerk; or, if the city lacks such officers, to an officer performing a corresponding function under another name;
4. upon a county, to the chair or clerk of the board of supervisors, clerk, attorney or treasurer;
5. upon a town, to the supervisor or the clerk;
6. upon a village, to the mayor, clerk, or any trustee;
7. upon a school district, to a school officer, as defined in the education law; and
8. upon a park, sewage or other district, to the clerk, any trustee or any member of the board.
(b) If service upon a domestic or foreign corporation within the one hundred twenty days allowed by section three hundred six-b of this article is impracticable under paragraph one of subdivision (a) of this section or any other law, service upon the corporation may be made in such manner, and proof of service may take such form, as the court, upon motion without notice, directs.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.