2014 New York Laws
CVP - Civil Practice Law & Rules
Article 13-A - (1310 - 1352) PROCEEDS OF A CRIME-FORFEITURE
1327 - Proceedings to determine adverse claims.

NY CPLR § 1327 (2014) What's This?

1327. Proceedings to determine adverse claims. Prior to the application of property or debt to the satisfaction of a judgment, any person, other than a party to the action, who has an interest in the property subject to forfeiture may commence a special proceeding against the claiming authority to determine the rights of adverse claimants to the property or debt, and in such proceeding shall serve a notice of petition upon the claiming agent and upon each party in the same manner as a notice of motion. The proceeding may be commenced in the county where the property was levied upon, or in the county where the order of attachment is filed. The court may vacate or discharge the attachment, void the levy, direct the disposition of the property or debt, direct that undertakings be provided or released, or direct that damages be awarded. Where there appear to be disputed questions of fact, the court shall order a separate trial, indicating the person who shall have possession of the property pending a decision and the undertaking, if any, which such person shall give. If the court determines that the adverse claim was fraudulent or made without any reasonable basis whatsoever, it may require the claimant to pay the claiming authority the reasonable expenses incurred in the proceeding, including reasonable attorney's fees, and any other damages suffered by reason of the claim. The commencement of the proceeding shall not of itself subject the adverse claimant to personal jurisdiction with respect to any matter other than the claim asserted in the proceeding.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.