2014 New York Laws
ACA - Arts and Cultural Affairs
Title G - REGULATION OF SALE OF THEATRE TICKETS
Article 25 - (25.01 - 25.35) TICKETS TO PLACES OF ENTERTAINMENT
25.13 - Licensing of ticket resellers.
* 25.13. Licensing of ticket resellers. 1. No person, firm or corporation shall resell or engage in the business of reselling any tickets to a place of entertainment or operate an internet website or any other electronic service that provides a mechanism for two or more parties to participate in a resale transaction or that facilitates resale transactions by the means of an auction, or own, conduct or maintain any office, branch office, bureau, agency or sub-agency for such business without having first procured a license or certificate for each location at which business will be conducted from the secretary of state. Any operator or manager of a website that serves as a platform to facilitate resale, or resale by way of a competitive bidding process, solely between third parties and does not in any other manner engage in resales of tickets to places of entertainment shall be exempt from the licensing requirements of this section. The department of state shall issue and deliver to such applicant a certificate or license to conduct such business and to own, conduct or maintain a bureau, agency, sub-agency, office or branch office for the conduct of such business on the premises stated in such application upon the payment by or on behalf of the applicant of a fee of five thousand dollars and shall be renewed upon the payment of a like fee annually. Such license or certificate shall not be transferred or assigned, except by permission of the secretary of state. Such license or certificate shall run to the first day of January next ensuing the date thereof, unless sooner revoked by the secretary of state. Such license or certificate shall be granted upon a written application setting forth such information as the secretary of state may require in order to enable him or her to carry into effect the provisions of this article and shall be accompanied by proof satisfactory to the secretary of state of the moral character of the applicant.
2. No operator's agent shall sell or convey tickets to any secondary ticket reseller owned or controlled by the operator's agent.
3. The operator or the promoter shall determine whether a seat for which a ticket is for sale has an obstructed view, and shall disclose such obstruction. Every sale or resale of such ticket shall include a disclosure of such obstructed view.
4. If any licensee under this section demonstrates that their business provides a service to facilitate ticket transactions without charging any fees, surcharges or service charges above the established price, on every transaction, except a reasonable and actual charge for the delivery of tickets, then the fees for licensing under this section shall be waived.
* NB Effective until May 15, 2015
* 25.13. Printing price on ticket. Every person, firm or corporation who owns, operates or controls a theatre, place of amusement or entertainment, or other place where public exhibitions, games, contests or performances are held shall, if a price be charged for admission thereto, print on the face of each such ticket or other evidence of the right of entry the price charged therefor by such person, firm or corporation. Such person, firm or corporation shall likewise be required to print or endorse thereon the maximum premium (not to exceed two dollars, plus lawful taxes), at which such ticket or other evidence of the right of entry may be resold or offered for resale. It shall be unlawful for any person, firm or corporation to resell or offer to resell such ticket or other evidence of the right of entry at any premium or price in excess of such maximum premium printed or endorsed thereon, plus lawful taxes, or so that the ultimate price to the purchaser of such ticket shall exceed a sum in excess of two dollars over and above the original price charged for admission as printed on the face of each such ticket or other evidence of the right of entry, plus lawful taxes.
* NB Effective May 15, 2015
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.