2012 New York Consolidated Laws
CVP - Civil Practice Law & Rules
Article 45 - (4501 - 4548) EVIDENCE
R4542 - Proof of foreign records and documents.

NY CPLR § R4542 (2012) What's This?
    Rule 4542. Proof of foreign records and documents. (a) Foreign record.
  A  foreign official record, or an entry therein, when admissible for any
  purpose, may be evidenced by an official publication thereof; or a  copy
  thereof,  attested  by  a person authorized to make the attestation, and
  accompanied by a final  certification  as  to  the  genuineness  of  the
  signature and official position
    1. of the attesting person, or
    2.  of  any  foreign  official  whose  certificate  of  genuineness of
  signature and official position
    (i) relates to the attestation, or
    (ii) is in a chain of certificates of  genuineness  of  signature  and
  official position relating to the attestation.
    (b)  Final  certification.  A  final  certification  may  be made by a
  secretary of an  embassy  or  legation,  consul  general,  consul,  vice
  consul,  or  consular  agent  of  the  United States, or a diplomatic or
  consular official of the foreign country assigned or accredited  to  the
  United  States.  If reasonable opportunity has been given to all parties
  to investigate the authenticity and accuracy of the documents, the court
  may, for  good  cause  shown,  admit  an  attested  copy  without  final
  certification,  or permit the foreign official record to be evidenced by
  an attested summary with or without a final certification.
    (c) Lack of record. A written statement that after diligent search  no
  record  or  entry of a specified tenor was found to exist in the foreign
  records designated by the statement, authenticated  in  compliance  with
  the  requirements  set forth in subdivisions (a) and (b) for a copy of a
  foreign record is admissible as evidence that  the  records  contain  no
  such record or entry.

Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New York may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.