2019 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 59A - Insurance Code
Article 8 - Assets and Liabilities
Section 59A-8-2 - Assets not allowed.
A. In addition to assets impliedly excluded by provisions of Section 118 [59A-8-1 NMSA 1978] of this article, the following expressly shall not be allowed as assets in any determination of the financial condition of any insurer or fraternal benefit society:
(1) goodwill, trade names and other like intangible assets;
(2) advances to directors, officers, employees and agents (other than policy loans) whether secured or not, and advances to other persons on personal security only;
(3) stock of such insurer, owned by it, or any equity therein or loans secured thereby, or any proportionate interest in such stock acquired or held through ownership by the insurer of an interest in another corporation or business unit;
(4) furniture, fixtures, furnishings, safes, vehicles, libraries, stationery, literature and supplies (other than data processing, recordkeeping, accounting, word processing and electronic computer systems authorized under Subsection L of Section 118 [59A-8-1 NMSA 1978] of this article) except:
(a) in the case of title insurers such materials and plants as the insurer is expressly authorized to carry as an asset under Subsection M of Section 118 [59A-8-1 NMSA 1978] of this article; and
(b) in the case of any insurer or fraternal benefit society, such personal property as it is permitted to hold pursuant to Article 9 (investments) [Chapter 59A, Article 9 NMSA 1978] of the Insurance Code, or which is reasonably necessary for the maintenance or operation of real property lawfully acquired and held, other than real property used for home office, branch office and similar purposes;
(5) the amount, if any, by which the aggregate book value of investments as carried in ledger assets exceeds the aggregate value thereof as determined under the Insurance Code.
B. All nonadmitted assets and all other assets of doubtful value or character included as ledger or nonledger assets in any statement by an insurer or fraternal benefit society to the superintendent, or in any examiner's report to the superintendent, shall be reported, to the extent of the value disallowed, as deductions from gross assets except where the superintendent permits a reserve to be carried among liabilities in lieu of any such deductions.
History: Laws 1984, ch. 127, § 119.ANNOTATIONS
Cross references. — For the Insurance Code, see 59A-1-1 NMSA 1978 and notes thereto.