2017 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 57 - Trade Practices and Regulations
Article 12 - Unfair Trade Practices
Section 57-12-3.1 - Unauthorized use of delivery container prohibited.
57-12-3.1. Unauthorized use of delivery container prohibited.
A. It shall be an unlawful practice within the meaning of the Unfair Practices Act for any person to:
(1) remove the owner's container from the owner's or a recipient's premises or parking area without the permission of the owner or recipient;
(2) possess or use the owner's container if it has been removed from the owner's or recipient's premises or parking area without the permission of the owner or recipient;
(3) alter, convert, destroy or tamper with the owner's container without permission of the owner or recipient; or
(4) sell the owner's container to or purchase the owner's container from someone other than the owner without the permission of the owner.
B. As used in this section:
(1) "bakery rack" means a metal frame that holds bakery trays or other bakery products and that is used by a bakery, distributor or retailer or its agent as a means to transport, store or carry bakery products;
(2) "bakery tray" means a wire or plastic receptacle that holds bread, buns or other baked goods and that is used by a bakery, distributor or retailer or its agent as a means to transport, store or carry bakery products;
(3) "container" means a bakery rack, bakery tray, dairy case, egg basket, poultry box, shopping cart or pallet;
(4) "dairy case" means a plastic receptacle that holds sixteen quarts or more of beverage and that is used by a dairy, distributor or retailer or its agent as a means to transport, store or carry dairy products;
(5) "pallet" means a wooden or plastic base that allows stacks of merchandise to be placed upon it and that provides a space and support beneath the stack for forklift handling;
(6) "parking area" means a lot or other property provided by a recipient for the use of its customers to park vehicles while at the recipient's establishment;
(7) "poultry box" means a permanent type of container that is used by a processor, distributor, retailer or food service establishment or an agent of one of those persons to transport, store or carry poultry;
(8) "recipient" means a person, firm, corporation or association that is authorized by the owner to use an owner's container; and
(9) "shopping cart" means a basket that is mounted on wheels, or a similar device, that is generally used in a retail establishment by a customer to transport goods of any kind.
C. No civil action shall be maintained pursuant to this section against any person who returns to its owner within sixty days after the effective date of this section a container that was unlawfully obtained.
History: Laws 1991, ch. 28, 1.