2015 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 3 - Municipalities
Section 9 Absentee Voting
Section 3-9-1 Definitions.
As used in Chapter 3, Article 9 NMSA 1978:
A. "absentee voting" means the casting of a vote by a qualified elector for any candidate or question prior to election day;
B. "early voter" means a voter who votes in person before election day, and not by mail;
C. "election" means a regular or special municipal election;
D. "federal qualified elector" means:
(1) a uniformed-service voter; or
(2) an overseas voter;
E. "immediate family" means a person's spouse, children, parents, brothers and sisters;
F. "overseas voter" means an individual who is a United States citizen, who is outside the United States and who:
(1) is temporarily absent from the individual's residence in this state;
(2) before leaving the United States, was last eligible to vote in this state and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state's voter eligibility requirements;
(3) before leaving the United States, would have been last eligible to vote in this state had the voter then been of voting age and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state's voter eligibility requirements; or
(4) was born outside the United States, is not otherwise described in this subsection and, except for a state residency requirement, otherwise satisfies this state's voter eligibility requirements, if:
(a) the last place where a parent or legal guardian of the individual was, or under the Municipal Election Code would have been, eligible to vote before leaving the United States is within this state; and
(b) the individual has not previously registered to vote in any other state;
G. "uniformed-service voter" means an individual whose voting residence is in this state, who otherwise satisfies this state's voter eligibility requirements and who is:
(1) a member of the active or reserve components of the army, navy, air force, marine corps or coast guard of the United States who is on active duty and who by reason of that active duty is absent from the state;
(2) a member of the merchant marine, the commissioned corps of the United States public health service, the astronaut program of the national aeronautics and space administration or the commissioned corps of the national oceanic and atmospheric administration of the United States and who by reason of that service is absent from the state;
(3) a member on activated status of the national guard or state militia and who by reason of that active duty is absent from the member's county of residence; or
(4) a spouse or dependent of a member referred to in Paragraph (1), (2) or (3) of this subsection and who, by reason of active duty or service of the member, is absent from the state; provided the spouse or dependent is an individual recognized as a spouse or dependent by the entity under which the member is serving; and
H. "voter" means a qualified elector of the municipality.
History: 1953 Comp., 14-8A-2, enacted by Laws 1973, ch. 375, 2; 1978 Comp., 3-9-2, recompiled as 1978 Comp., 3-9-1 by Laws 1985, ch. 208, 89; 2003, ch. 244, 13; 2009, ch. 278, 27; 2015, ch. 145, 87.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.