2015 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 3 - Municipalities
Section 34 Street Improvement Fund
Section 3-34-3 Street improvement fund; repurchasing bonds or certificates; pledging income.
3-34-3. Street improvement fund; repurchasing bonds or certificates; pledging income.
A. The governing body may, by ordinance approved by three-fourths of all the members of the governing body and irrepealable during the term of the contract and for a period not exceeding twenty-one years, contract:
(1) to repurchase bonds or assignable certificates authorized in Section 3-33-24 NMSA 1978 for the construction of a street, alley, curb, gutter or sidewalk project with the money in the street improvement fund; or
(2) to pledge the income of the street improvement fund to pay the interest and principal of bonds or assignable certificates when default in payment may occur by reason of nonpayment of any assessment levied for the payment of a street, alley, curb, gutter or sidewalk project authorized in Section 3-33-3 NMSA 1978.
B. The municipality may anticipate the annual income to be received by the street improvement fund. The amount contracted or pledged to be expended each year as authorized in this section shall not exceed the amount that is accumulated in the street improvement fund.
C. The ordinance authorized in this section shall state that:
(1) all disbursements made pursuant to the contract shall be paid solely from the street improvement fund and from no other source;
(2) the obligations created by the contract are not general obligations of the municipality; and
(3) the contracting parties may not look to any other fund for the performance of the contractual obligation.
D. In the event of disbursement from the street improvement fund pursuant to the obligations created by the contract, the municipality shall be subrogated for the benefit of the street improvement fund to all the rights and remedies of the holders of the securities upon which payment is made.
History: 1953 Comp., 14-33-3, enacted by Laws 1965, ch. 300; 1977, ch. 247, 140; 1979, ch. 108, 3; 1983, ch. 265, 11; 1987, ch. 220, 1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.