2015 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 3 - Municipalities
Section 18 Powers of Municipalities
Section 3-18-6 Building construction and restrictions; establishing fire zones.
3-18-6. Building construction and restrictions; establishing fire zones.
A. Within its planning and platting jurisdiction, a municipality may by ordinance:
(1) prescribe standards for constructing and altering buildings;
(2) prescribe the distance a building may be built from the street line;
(3) regulate the construction of partition fences and party walls; and
(4) have exclusive enforcement over permits issued by the municipality when enforced by an approved inspector.
B. A municipality may establish fire zones and prohibit within these zones the construction or addition of structures which do not meet the fire resistance ratings or standards established for each zone.
C. The provisions of Subsection A of this section shall not apply:
(1) to construction specifically exempted by the Construction Industries Licensing Act [Chapter 60, Article 13 NMSA 1978] or regulations adopted pursuant thereto; or
(2) to territory outside the boundary of a municipality if a county by ordinance prescribes standards for constructing and altering buildings.
History: 1953 Comp., 14-17-5, enacted by Laws 1965, ch. 300; 1971, ch. 256, 1.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.