2015 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 1 - Elections
Section 4 Registration of Electors
Section 1-4-5 Method of registration; unlawful use of information; penalty.
1-4-5. Method of registration; unlawful use of information; penalty.
A. A qualified elector may apply to a registration officer or agent for registration.
B. The registration officer or agent or qualified elector shall fill out each of the blanks on the certificate of registration by typing or printing in ink. The qualified elector shall be given a receipt that shall contain:
(1) a number traceable to the registration agent or officer;
(2) a statement informing the qualified elector that if the qualified elector does not receive confirmation of the qualified elector's registration within fifteen days of the receipt date, the qualified elector should contact the office of the county clerk in the county where the qualified elector resides; and
(3) a toll-free number for the office of the county clerk and an address for the web site of the secretary of state.
C. The qualified elector shall subscribe a certificate of registration as follows:
(1) by signing the certificate of registration using the qualified elector's given name, middle name or initial and last name; or
(2) if any qualified elector seeking to register is unable to read and write either the English or Spanish language or is unable to read or write because of some physical disability, the certificate of such person shall be filled out by a registration officer or agent and the name of the qualified elector so registering shall be subscribed by the making of the qualified elector's mark.
D. When properly executed by the registration agent or officer or qualified elector, the original of the certificate of registration shall be presented, either in person or by mail by the qualified elector or by the registration agent or officer, to the county clerk of the county in which the qualified elector resides. It is unlawful for the qualified elector's month and day of birth or any portion of the qualified elector's social security number required on the certificate of registration to be copied, conveyed or used by anyone other than the person registering to vote, either before or after it is filed with the county clerk, and by elections administrators in their official capacity.
E. A person who unlawfully copies, conveys or uses information from a certificate of registration is guilty of a fourth degree felony.
History: 1953 Comp., 3-4-5, enacted by Laws 1969, ch. 240, 63; 1973, ch. 41, 1; 1975, ch. 255, 35; 1987, ch. 249, 7; 1993, ch. 314, 6; 1993, ch. 316, 6; 2003, ch. 356, 10; 2005, ch. 270, 19; 2007, ch. 336, 3; 2008, ch. 59, 2; 2011, ch. 137, 31; 2015, ch. 145, 13.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.