2015 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 1 - Elections
Section 4 Registration of Electors
Section 1-4-5.5 Requests for voter data, mailing labels or special voter lists.
1-4-5.5. Requests for voter data, mailing labels or special voter lists.
A. The county clerk or secretary of state shall furnish voter data, mailing labels or special voter lists only upon written request to the county clerk or the secretary of state and after compliance with the requirements of this section; provided, however, all requesters shall be treated equally in regard to the charges and the furnishing of the materials.
B. In furnishing voter data, mailing labels or special voter lists, the county clerk or secretary of state shall not provide data or lists that include voters' social security numbers, codes used to identify agencies where voters have registered, a voter's day and month of birth or voters' telephone numbers if prohibited by voters.
C. Each requester of voter data, mailing labels or special voter lists shall sign an affidavit that the voter data, mailing labels and special voter lists shall be used for governmental or election and election campaign purposes only and shall not be made available or used for unlawful purposes.
D. The secretary of state shall prescribe the form of the affidavit.
E. As used in this section:
(1) "election campaign purposes" means relating in any way to a campaign in an election conducted by a federal, state or local government;
(2) "governmental purposes" means noncommercial purposes relating in any way to the structure, operation or decision-making of a federal, state or local government;
(3) "mailing labels" means prepared mailing labels of selected voters arranged in the order in which requested and providing only the name and address of the voter;
(4) "special voter list" means a prepared list of selected voters arranged in the order in which requested; and
(5) "voter data" means selected information derived from the voter file.
History: 1953 Comp., 3-5-29, enacted by Laws 1975, ch. 255, 78; 1995, ch. 166, 6; 2005, ch. 270, 35; 1978 Comp., 1-5-24 recompiled as 1-4-5.5 by Laws 2011, ch. 137, 109; 2015, ch. 145, 15.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.