2013 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 22 - Public Schools
Article 10A - School Personnel Act
Section 22-10A-21 - Employment contracts; duration. (2003)
22-10A-21. Employment contracts; duration. (2003)
A. All employment contracts between local school boards and certified school personnel and between governing authorities of state agencies and certified school instructors shall be in writing on forms approved by the state board [department]. These forms shall contain and specify the term of service, the salary to be paid, the method of payment, the causes for termination of the contract and other provisions required by the regulations of the state board.
B. All employment contracts between local school boards and certified school personnel and between governing authorities of state agencies and certified school instructors shall be for a period of one school year except:
(1) contracts for less than one school year are permitted to fill personnel vacancies which occur during the school year;
(2) contracts for the remainder of a school year are permitted to staff programs when the availability of funds for the programs is not known until after the beginning of the school year;
(3) contracts for less than one school year are permitted to staff summer school programs and to staff federally funded programs in which the federally approved programs are specified to be conducted for less than one school year;
(4) contracts not to exceed three years are permitted for certified school administrators in public schools who are engaged in administrative functions for more than one-half of their employment time; and
(5) contracts not to exceed three years are permitted at the discretion of the local school board for certified school instructors in public schools who have been employed in the school district for three consecutive school years.
C. Persons employed under contracts for periods of less than one school year as provided in Paragraphs (1) and (2) of Subsection B of this section shall be accorded all the duties, rights and privileges of the Certified School Personnel Act.
D. In determination of eligibility for unemployment compensation rights and benefits for certified school instructors where those rights and benefits are claimed to arise from the employment relationship between governing authorities of state agencies or local school boards and certified school instructors, that period of a year not covered by a school year shall not be considered an unemployment period.
E. Except as provided in Section 22-10-12 NMSA 1978, a person employed by contract pursuant to this section has no legitimate objective expectancy of reemployment, and no contract entered into pursuant to this section shall be construed as an implied promise of continued employment pursuant to a subsequent contract.
History: 1953 Comp., § 77-8-8, enacted by Laws 1967, ch. 16, § 113; 1975, ch. 306, § 7; 1986, ch. 33, § 19; 1999, ch. 214, § 1; 1978 Comp., § 22-10-11, recompiled as § 22-10A-21 by Laws 2003, ch. 153, § 72.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.