2011 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 30: Criminal Offenses
Article 7: Weapons and Explosives, 30-7-1 through 30-7-22
Section 30-7-2.2: Unlawful possession of a handgun by a person; exceptions; penalty.
30-7-2.2. Unlawful possession of a handgun by a person; exceptions; penalty.
A. Unlawful possession of a handgun by a person consists of a person knowingly having a handgun in his possession or knowingly transporting a handgun, except when the person is:
(1) in attendance at a hunter's safety course or a handgun safety course;
(2) engaging in the use of a handgun for target shooting at an established range authorized by the governing body of the jurisdiction in which the range is located or in an area where the discharge of a handgun without legal justification is not prohibited by law;
(3) engaging in an organized competition involving the use of a handgun;
(4) participating in or practicing for a performance by an organization that has been granted exemption from federal income tax by the United States commissioner of internal revenue as an organization described in Section 501(c)(3) of the United States Internal Revenue Code of 1954, as amended or renumbered;
(5) legal hunting or trapping activities;
(6) traveling, with an unloaded handgun in his possession, to or from an activity described in Paragraph (1), (2), (3), (4) or (5) of this subsection; or
(7) on real property under the control of the person's parent, grandparent or legal guardian and the person is being supervised by his parent, grandparent or legal guardian.
B. A person who commits unlawful possession of a handgun by a person is guilty of a misdemeanor.
C. As used in this section:
(1) "person" means an individual who is less than nineteen years old; and
(2) "handgun" means a loaded or unloaded pistol, revolver or firearm which will or is designed to or may readily be converted to expel a projectile by the action of an explosion and the barrel length of which, not including a revolving, detachable or magazine breech, does not exceed twelve inches.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.