2011 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 29: Law Enforcement
Article 11A: Sex Offender Registration and Notification, 29-11A-1 through 29-11A-10
Section 29-11A-2: Findings; purpose.
29-11A-2. Findings; purpose.
A. The legislature finds that:
(1) sex offenders pose a significant risk of recidivism; and
(2) the efforts of law enforcement agencies to protect their communities from sex offenders are impaired by the lack of information available concerning convicted sex offenders who live within the agencies' jurisdictions.
B. The purpose of the Sex Offender Registration and Notification Act [29-11A-1 NMSA 1978] is to assist law enforcement agencies' efforts to protect their communities by:
(1) requiring sex offenders who are residents of New Mexico to register with the county sheriff of the county in which the sex offender resides;
(2) requiring sex offenders who are residents in other states, but who are employed in New Mexico or who attend school in New Mexico, to register with the county sheriff of the county in which the sex offender works or attends school;
(3) requiring the establishment of a central registry for sex offenders; and
(4) providing public access to information regarding certain registered sex offenders.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.