2011 New Mexico Statutes
Chapter 24: Health and Safety
Article 10C: Cardiac Arrest Response, 24-10C-1 through 24-10C-7
Section 24-10C-3: Definitions.
As used in the Cardiac Arrest Response Act:
A. "automated external defibrillator" means a medical device heart monitor and defibrillator that:
(1) has received approval of its premarket modification filed pursuant to 21 U.S.C. 360(k), from the United States food and drug administration;
(2) is capable of recognizing cardiac arrest that will respond to defibrillation, ventricular fibrillation or rapid ventricular tachycardia, and is capable of determining whether defibrillation should be performed; and
(3) upon determining that defibrillation should be performed, automatically charges and is capable of delivering an electrical impulse to an individual's heart;
B. "automated external defibrillator program" means a program of trained targeted responders registered with the department and operating under the supervision of a physician medical director;
C. "defibrillation" means the administration of a controlled electrical charge to the heart to restore a viable cardiac rhythm;
D. "department" means the department of health;
E. "good Samaritan" means a person who lacks automated external defibrillator training but who has access to an automated external defibrillator and provides emergency automated external defibrillator services to a person in apparent cardiac arrest, provided that the good Samaritan:
(1) acts in good faith as an ordinary prudent person would have in the same or similar circumstances; and
(2) acts without compensation;
F. "physician" means a doctor of medicine or doctor of osteopathy who is licensed or otherwise authorized to practice medicine or osteopathic medicine in New Mexico; and
G. "trained targeted responder" means a person trained in the use of an automated external defibrillator under emergency cardiac care guidelines.
Disclaimer: These codes may not be the most recent version. New Mexico may have more current or accurate information. We make no warranties or guarantees about the accuracy, completeness, or adequacy of the information contained on this site or the information linked to on the state site. Please check official sources.